Monday, August 11, 2008

Virginier in Virginia

C2+V2 3= Virginia

Heading over the border into Virginia I started off by having an early morning swim at Virginia Beach, and then headed inland to Chesapeake and the Chesapeake Bay. I passed through Suffolk, Norfolk, Newport News and Portsmouth, and the names reminded me of somewhere.

Then I headed inland to Richmond, which seemed quite affluent, before swimming towards the mountains on the Roanoke River.

Along the way I stopped in the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts. I was worried I'd walked into a trap set to capture my greenygrey fur, but could relax after a few hours, as I was so fascinated by the performing arts center that I couldn't leave, and guessed that was what the trap referred to. They asked if I'd been to the opera before, and I replied no, because I hadn't. They said everybody else had been before, so I was the only newbie in the place.

After leaving there I passed through some dogwood trees, which made me feel at home, before I finally made it back into the Blue Ridge Mountains. I had another reminder of what a small world it is a few hours a later, because I came across the two gentlemen I'd met in the Blue Ridge Mountains further south. I asked what they were doing in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, and it seemed to set them off into song: telling me they were in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia on the Trail of the Lonesome Pine.

I said oh, are you still looking for the lonesome pine; I saw some dogwood earlier if that's any help. They said that was a great help, although I don't know if they were just being kind, before they left. It was the last I saw of them, so I hope they found what they were looking for.

I made it to the border with West Virgina by nightfall, with the end of my journey through C2+V2 in sight.

No comments: