Saturday, August 2, 2008

South Carol Liner in South Carolina

C2+V2 1: South Carolina

After relaxing on the beach for awhile in the Florida Keys I flew up to Charleston in South Carolina after changing into a seagull for the journey.

After taking in the history of Charleston I crossed the bay over to Mount Pleasant, which was also pleasant.

I was going to take a boat up the coast from there, but when I went to the port there was only one ship there, and no other voyages were planned for the foreseeable future. So I thought I'd get on that boat, and went to board.

However, as I approached the ship a guard asked me what my name was. I didn't know why I was being asked, so I just replied 'Greenygrey'. The guard looked at me with astonishment, before replying: 'Greenygrey, you tried to get on the Carol liner with a name like Greenygrey; where are you from, everybody in South Carolina knows the Carol liner is only for people called Carol'.

I was taken aback; brangled and in shock. If I'd unbrangled myself quickly enough I might have retorted that my middle name was Carol, but at the time I just sloped off, with my tail between my legs so to speak.

Anyway, it all worked out well in the end, because I got to see loads of sunny South Carolina.

First, I travelled across the Sandhills, and enjoyed running up the banks and then rolling down the other sides.

I met some cool geese at Goose Creek, ate orange burgers in Orangeburg, danced the salsa in Columbia, fitted into Greenville, and joined a mock battle in Spartanburg.

After running around the mountains in the Piedmont, I made my way back to the east coast by nightfall, and slept on Myrtle Beach.

The Carol liner docked two hours later.

No comments: