Monday, August 25, 2008

New Hemp Sure in New Hampshire

MNV 2= New Hampshire

Crossing into New Hampshire from Maine I made good progress over to Lake Winnipesaukee, and had a fantastic swim in there, changing intermittently from manta to reef shark, or a bright mandarin fish; the latter takes all my chameleon powers to accomplish, as there are so many colours needed to make up a good mandarin fish.

After a bite of lunch I took my time going through Laconia and must have looked quite laconic; I don't think anybody saw me though, as I'd turned back into my default greenygrey colours, and the surroundings were nicely greenygrey.

As I passed through the countryside I saw a man in a field of crops repeatedly throwing a ball up in the air and then collecting it. I was vexed as to what he was doing, so I enquired. He said he'd used to live in New York, but he'd moved up to New Hampshire because of 'Catcher in the Rye'. I said it's a long way to move for such a sport, but he said New Hampshire has great rye fields.

I'm sure there was something cryptic in what he said, but I never worked it out. I started thinking about it on my way down to Concord, but was there before I knew it, so it went completely out of my head...until now.

Anyway, I was travelling so fast my greenygrey fur was falling into my eyes, so I thought I'd buy some rope to tie it. I asked at an old-fashioned wholesale store and the very polite shop-owner said 'New hemp sure'.

So I tied my fur back with the hemp, and it came in very handy, as I flew from Concord to the border with Vermont, where I would end my journey through MNV. I slept on the banks of the Connecticut River, and nice it was too.

No comments: