Monday, March 17, 2008

Why roaming in Wyoming?

USA 8: Wyoming

Crossing into Wyoming I made good speed as I travelled along the plateau, and then climbed up the Owl Creek mountains to eat lunch under a big blue sky, with the sun's heat cancelling out any discomfort from the strong breeze.

After lunch I headed over to the Black Hills, before heading south over the Big Horn Mountains. It was quite cold in the Snowy mountains, but it warmed up again in the Sierra Madre.

The wide open spaces in the big sky country meant I made good speed through Wyoming, and the only distraction was the beautiful nature I passed; although I did have to go out of my way to avoid ranches a couple of times.

The dry weather meant I got thirsty quite often, but I drank from the rivers I passed: the Yellowstone, Powder, Green and Snake.

I particularly enjoyed the Green water, and thought it gave my coat a bit of a colour boost on the green front. Didn't enjoy the Snake water too much I'm afraid, and would recommend you avoid it if at all possible.

I made it to the border with Colorado by nightfall, and slept under an amazing night sky; there were stars and comets everywhere, and it took me a while to get to sleep, as I was enjoying the natural light show above so much.


No comments: