Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Oh, ta in Utah

USA 9: Utah

Crossing into Utah through the Dinosaur Quarry I was worried a tyrannosaurus rex or raptor might come back to life feeling very hungry after millions of years without food, and take a liking to my greenygrey coat and think I was some kind breakfast in bed treat.

So I was mightily relieved to exit the area, and after getting my breath back enjoyed the rest of the morning's trek to Layton, on the Great Salt Lake. After the morning's excursion I enjoyed relaxing in the warm buoyant waters, and made the most of not having to swim to stay afloat.

I fell asleep actually, and spent much longer in the lake than originally intended. So after swimming over to the other side I bucked my ideas up and ran like the wind through the Great Salt Desert, the Sevier Desert, the Colorado River, and the Henry Mountains to Monument Valley; I didn't spend much time in my default greenygrey colours, as the environment around me was mostly either salty white or sandy yellow.

I climbed into the monumental rocks during the evening, and pretended to be some of my favourite characters from the Westerns I have stored in my mind. After that I made my way over to Navajo Mountain and camped on it for the night; Arizona was within view, and it looked as beautiful as Utah.

No comments: