Tuesday, March 25, 2008

New mixing in New Mexico

U.S.A 11: New Mexico


I stored up on water before crossing into New Mexico, as it is a notoriously dry state.

In the morning I made good progress across ochre deserts, heading east below the Zuni mountains. There was a fierce sun high in the cloudless sky, so the water I'd stored came in handy and I paced my intake to last until late morning; I mixed it up with some cactus juice, a mix I hadn't tried before.

An hour later I reached the Rio Grande, and ate lunch by the riverside. After a post-lunch sunbathe and swim I left just before some cattle ranchers arrived on a drive; I'd seen a cloud of dust in the distance, and guessed what was causing it.

I reached the Sangre de Cristo Mountains by late afternoon, and enjoyed running along the snowy peaks after spending the morning in high temperatures. I was well cooled-off, and felt a lot better for it.

I reached the Navajo Reservoir by nightfall and spent a relaxing night there.

Colorado was just over the border; the only Four Corner state I had yet to visit.

I hoped to put that right the next day.






No comments: