Friday, March 28, 2008

Colour radio in Colorado

U.S.A 12: Colorado

I crossed into Colorado but stayed in the Sangre de Cristo mountains, enjoying the sunshine that fell abundantly down on my greenygrey coat.

Climbing higher and higher I made my way along the eastern ridges of the Rocky Mountains and up to Mount Elbert, the highest point in the Rockies. I was so enraptured with the view that I wrote a poem about my ascent over lunch. It is included at the bottom of this post.

After lunch I made my way to the Colorado River, and followed it towards Denver. I popped into Denver for a bit of window shopping, and saw a lovely radio; maybe it was its greenygrey colour, but I just took an instant liking to it.

I left there in the late afternoon and made the short journey to Greeley, which I think is a very nice name, being quite close to Greeny. Needless to say, I didn't want to leave there quickly, and ended up staying there the night: Greeny in Greeley, ha!

Mountain Mirror: Ascent and Descent


Terra firma, gazing to the skies.
Before us,
a mountain of majesty, standing so proud.
Ascending, the narrow path leaves little room.
Onwards and upwards, we see the valley disappear below,
lime and tan replaced by ebony and ivory.
Through clouds, ice and snow we climb.
As it steepens, sheer cliffs we navigate;
the peak is within a stone's throw.

On the summit; freezing but ecstatic, on top of the world.

We leave the peak with reluctant hearts;
with careful steps, sheer cliffs we navigate.
Through clouds, ice and snow we climb;
ebony and ivory replaced by lime and tan.
Onwards and downwards, we see the summit disappear above,
Descending, the narrow path leaves little room.
Behind us,
a mountain of majesty, standing so proud.
Terra firma, gazing to the skies.

No comments: