Monday, September 1, 2008

New Jersey in New Jersey

N2 2: New Jersey

I crossed from New York State into New Jersey over the George Washington Bridge, and had a cranberry breakfast.

Then I hiked up high to High Point, where my greenygrey fur was uncharacteristically unable to keep out the cold. So I bought a nice new jersey at a stall selling second-hand merchandise: it was a Bon Jovi jersey from their 'Slippery When Wet' tour. Yes, that was a great album, and there have been many fine songs from the New Jerseyians; in fact, I often sing 'Wanted Dead or Alive' when I'm travelling through hunting grounds!

Then I made my way over to Camp Glen Gray, where my grey side had a good time, before heading into the city. Jersey City was great, and I saw Bruce Springsteen play at the Asbury. I mingled in the crowd with other celebrities, like Patti Smith and Lauryn Hill.

As I was leaving the club a little worse for wear a strange creature appeared, looking like a winged horse. It said it was the Jersey Devil, and asked what I was doing in its neighbourhood. I said I was just passing through, but it wasn't happy with my presence, which was probably down to me being a much nicer looking mythological creature. Anyway, I said I was in a bit of a rush, as I had more states to visit, and gave it my Bon Jovi jersey as a goodwill offering, before bidding farewell and legging it.

I paid homage to the Lenni Lenape culture's wolf clan as I left the city, and then headed out to the countryside again. I travelled through New Brunswick, which reminded me of my Canadian travels, before swimming and eating in the Great Egg Harbour River.

I ended the day in Salem, where I thought I'd had my lot, as there were vampires and witches all over the shop. Not the kind of thing a respectable vegetarian werewolf needs after a hard day's hoboing. I managed to get some sleep after letting out an almighty howl that even shocked myself.

No comments: