Monday, September 15, 2008

Dale Aware in Delaware

PMD 3: Delaware

As I crossed into Delaware I still felt merry from my travel through Maryland; this was added to by the fact that I'd reached my last state: the final stop on my epic North American journey. Ironically, my last US state, Delaware, is often referred to as the First State, as it was the first to ratify the constitution.

After heading across the north of Delaware I met a couple of strange looking creatures at the Brandywine River, and they introduced themselves as Frodo and Sam. They said they were hobbits, and funnily enough they were also finishing an epic journey, although theirs sounded even more exciting than mine, and much more dangerous. We walked down to the dales together, and the glowing lime green colours reminded me of somewhere else from my past; somewhere buried deep in my mind. I became dale aware in Delaware.

After bidding the hobbits farewell at the shire, I made my way down to Dover, which also gave me a feeling of deja-vu, and my past seemed to be reawakening; it wasn't that I'd been there before, it was the name.

From there I travelled to Milford, which had a nice sound, before ending my trek through Delaware at Cape Henlopen. A Fighting Blue Hen greeted me there, and said that normally it challenges visitors to a brawl, but it had decided to greet me in peace. I said thanks, and being a veggie werewolf I won't eat you. This reciprocation of goodwill seemed to go down well, and we got on like a henhouse on fire after that.

As we had a few glasses of speckled hen I reminisced about my epic journey; all the creatures I'd met, adventures had, tasty acronyms and beautiful views experienced. And now I seemed to be becoming aware of my past more than ever before. Would more travelling lead to further revelations? How many more roads must I travel? Only time will tell, and for now I sat back and enjoyed the feeling of journey's end, as the last rays of sunlight fell over the Delaware Bay.

No comments: