Monday, July 7, 2008

Midgee gun in Michigan?

WIIM 4: Michigan

I crossed into Michigan, the Wolverine State, from Indiana; I felt like a wolf amongst wolverines, and I guess I was.

Heading north through the mitten shaped land mass that makes up the southern territory of Michigan I felt I fitted into Michigan like a glove, and was enjoying my morning ramble.

Passing through Kalamazoo there was a great deal of noise, with many people blowing into a strangely shaped musical instrument.

I headed east from there, and reached Detroit for lunch. I travelled back in time there to witness a historic performance by legendary group, Kiss, who were so impressed by the city's people that they penned the song, Detroit Rock City.

Then I headed north-west, but the epic journey was starting to take its toll on my poor paws, so I bought a car in Pontiac and drove from there.

However, the car wasn't as luxurious as I wanted, so I exchanged it for another one in Cadillac, and travelled in style from there up to Alpena; where I lunched on Muesli.

After that I swam from the eastern side of the lower territory to the south of the northern territory, via Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, and through the Mackinac Strait that divides the two peninsulas.

I had to barter with some trolls on the mitten peninsula to pass through the strait; they live under the bridge that spans the Mackinac

From there I was drawn like a magnet to Iron Mountain and Iron Wood, before resting up on the north of the peninsula, and the shores of Lake Superior; I once again felt humbled.

It was a beautiful setting, and with fruit and berries in abundance I had a wonderful evening, and felt content and proud to have completed my journey around WIIM. The only downer was that there were loads of midgees, and I felt like I could have done with a midgee gun!

However, that was only a slight drawback, and once I'd got the campfire going they soon abated. I felt so at home in such an idyllic setting, and so euphoric about having another accomplishment under my greenygrey belt, that I started singing a song; thankfully nobody could hear me, as I'm a bit tone deaf! It went something like this:

Home, home on the WIIM,
I came here on a whim,
To the Lake Michigan rim,
I love travelling by acronym.

I hope you enjoy it as much I did.

Thanks to Wikipedia for providing great info on Michigan, and most of the other stuff that's helped my rambles on their way: http://en.wikipedia.org

No comments: