Sunday, July 13, 2008

Can Turkey in Kentucky

TKO 2: Kentucky

Landing in the Wolf River and meeting Howlin' Wolf in Tennessee gave me an appetite for finding wolfy names and creatures, so I planned my Kentucky rambles along those lines.

First, I headed up to the Wolf Hills in Henderson County, and had lunch with some wolf spiders. They aren't very good looking creatures, but they are harmless, and quite friendly once you get to know them.

Then I headed up to Wolf Creek in Meade County, and had a relaxing few hours lounging and swimming while my food settled.

Wolfe County was next, and then I crossed the Licking River and Cave Run Lake up to Wolf in Carter County. It was nice to run through the rolling hills and bluegrass.

While I was there I came across some wild turkeys, which have been successfully reintroduced to the state after going extinct, dancing to bluegrass music. They bet me I couldn't dance like a turkey, but I soon got into a good rhythm, and they had to admit that I can turkey.

Then I made my way up to the Ohio River, and slept on its southern bank.

No comments: