Thursday, February 21, 2008

You can in the Yukon

CT3: Yukon

Entering the Yukon, snow and ice slowed my progress in the morning, but I made it past many rivers to reach Wolf Lake by lunchtime. Needless to say, it was nice to reach a lake named after me...or one of my kind...and I spent a couple of hours eating and swimming in the vicinity.

After sleeping off the food I picked myself off the grass and soon got some pace going. I reached Whitehorse a few hours later, and stocked up on food there. Then I ran like a gazelle through the Ibex Valley, and reached the Saint Elias Mountains in Kluane National Park and Reserve by evening. I climbed Mount Logan during the night, and made it to the 5,959 m (19,551 ft) peak by sunrise; I felt on top of the world, and was actually on the top of Canada's world, as it's the country's highest mountain.

I could see Alaska from the top, and that meant my Canadian journey was almost over. I had really enjoyed my trek from west to east, and east to west, and hope you did too.


No comments: