Monday, June 2, 2008

Louise y Anna in Louisiana

MIMAL 5: Louisiana

I crossed over into Louisiana soon after dawn, and it was already very humid; lucky my greenygrey coat kept me cool.

I made my way down to Monroe, and had brekkie in a diner there. A funny thing happened as I finished off my sunny side up eggs: a blonde waitress called Marilyn had her skirt blown up by a sudden gust of wind. And it had been really still beforehand. Wow.

I then made good progress down to Alexandria, which had a Mediterranean feel to it, before twirling my way over to Baton Rouge.

Between there and New Orleans another funny thing occurred. I had jumped into the Mississippi River to give my weary paws a rest, and was swimming merrily downstream, when I heard a call from the bank.

So I swam over, and one of two women said 'Do you speak Spanish?'. I replied 'un poco' (a little). She then introduced herself and her friend: 'nosotros (we are)Louise y Anna', and I did the same: 'yo (I am) Greengrey'. Then in Spanish they said 'Beware, there is a big whirlpool further down stream, and nothing can escape from it, not even a greenygrey'.

They looked serious and honest so I thanked them from the bottom of my heart and continued swimming. Then, not ten minutes later, I saw a whirlpool of gigantic proportions, filling up the river, and swallowing everything that crossed its path. So I quickly made my way to the bank, and escaped the liquid trap.

I ran for the rest of the way to New Orleans, and slept on a bayou on its edge.

I had travelled down MIMAL, and thanks to Louise y Anna I had reached my destination.

No comments: