Monday, June 30, 2008

ILL n' OI in ILLINOIS

I crossed into Illinois via Lake Michigan, and swam down to sweet home Chicago. As I got out of the water a car sped past with a couple of guys with shades on inside, and a veritable convoy of different kinds of people chasing them. What a welcome, I thought; and also that I'm glad I'm on a mythological/legendary plain, and don't have to deal with everyday events.

As I walked down the street a Chicago Bear was heading down the road towards me; no, it wasn't a grizzly, it was William 'The Fridge' Perry, the legendary American Footballer. I said 'Hi, Fridge', and he replied 'Hi, Greeny'.

Then I climbed up the Sears Tower for great views over the city, and had a spot of lunch downtown. It was quite windy in the windy city.

Then I headed south to Pontiac, where I had a bit of trouble avoiding all the traffic, and down to Normal, where I began to feel ill. Returning to Pontiac, I had even more trouble with the cars, and a driver shouted 'Oi, you in the greenygrey, get out of my way'. I suppose he wasn't to know I was ill when he oi'd me.

I headed east after that, and reached the border with Indiana by nightfall. I'd enjoyed Illinois, and soon recovered from my illness.

No comments: